Last update: September 3, 2020
Maine saw two major primary elections in 2020, both of which may be used to provide valuable information for our understanding of election administration during the COVID-19 pandemic. This report addresses several key questions:
- How did Maine voters fare in voting by mail in the presidential preference primary in March 2020 and accompanying ballot items?
- How did Maine voters fare in the July 2020 primary election, especially compared to previous primary elections?
- How did Maine voters who participated by mail spoil their ballots?
- How well do first-time absentee voters participate in Maine elections?
- Finally, how sensitive were the IRV tabulations to accidents and mishandling?
10/16/20 - Election Funding: Augusta, the state capital, is using part of their $210,000 grant from the Center for Tech and Civic Life foundation to expand early voting and registration hours, hire more poll workers, and create informational voting videos.